Taking some time out for ourselves during the day is important, especially since we all lead very busy lives. For me, the best moment for a mini-pamper session is following a shower, when I use my favourite moisturising oils to provide much needed TLC to myself and my skin.
Top Tips for Massaging Skin
- Start by massaging oil from the feet and move upwards.
- Use short circular strokes, known as effleurage movements.
- Move towards the heart, which not only improves circulation but also moisturises the skin.
Benefits of Massaging with Essential Oils
- Use a good quality essential oil containing cream or massage oil, which benefits your internal organs, as well as your skin.
- Essential oils can absorb into the top layer of the skin (stratum corneum) and reach the bloodstream and other organs due to their small molecular weight.
- Essential oils can have therapeutic effects on various organs, finally escaping through the respiratory system, kidneys, and skin.
Properties of essential oils
Different essential oils can provide a vast range of benefits, hence can be used depending on how you would like to feel at a particular time of the day. The effect of the essential oil can last for a while and can take up to two hours to escape the body.
- Patchouli and frankincense are calming, so great to use in the evening to help unwind for a good night’s sleep.
- Invigorating ginger and black pepper on the other hand are more uplifting and energising, so great to kick-start the day.
Oils Safe in Pregnancy and Children
If you are pregnant or you want to care for your children’s skin, the following are great massage oils to use;
- Organic camellia (white tea). See more information on camellia oil here
- Olive oil
- Sunflower oil
Essential oils should not be used by pregnant women, or on children under 3 years of age, and you should take care when using them on older children.
Essential oils should never be put directly onto the skin. They should always be diluted in a carrier oils as per directions.
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.