This spring salad is a favourite of mine, for so many reasons but especially because it only takes 15 minutes to make. This meal is bursting with most of the best vitamins and minerals from vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, iron, phosphorous, magnesium and zinc, not to mention being high in dietary fibre. This recipe also benefits from being gluten-free.
Black quinoa is an amazing source of plant protein for vegetarians and vegans and also contains anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The perfect spring lunch!
Ingredients (serves 2)
1 big carrot
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
One cup of black quinoa
Salt and pepper
Optional: one handful of raisins
1) To cook the quinoa, add it to two parts water in a saucepan over heat. After the mixture is brought to a boil, add the chopped leek, season with salt and pepper and reduce the heat to simmer.
2) One cup of quinoa cooked using this method usually takes 15 minutes to prepare. When cooking is complete, you will notice that the grains have become translucent, and the white germ has partially detached itself, appearing like a white-spiralled tail.
3) Next, peel and grate the carrot and slice the avocado into small cubes. Put everything together in a bowl and add dressing by simply squeezing the lime, adding a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and seasoning with the salt and pepper.
4) Add the quinoa with the leek and mix everything with your hands.
5) Finally drizzle some olive oil on top and sprinkle a handful of raisins.
Enjoy, it really is so delicious!
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.