With the gorgeous Springtime sunshine we had at the weekend, a last minute BBQ was definitely in order! I absolutely love beetroot and feta so decided to experiment with the two and came up with this colourful, healthy salad that was just bursting with flavour.
Beetroot provides exceptional nutritional benefits and contains an array of minerals and vitamins. Being fibre rich, it is excellent for digestive health and can help to alleviate symptoms of constipation. It contains a great source of antioxidants that are thought contribute to increasing white blood cell count which is key to a healthy immune system. Because beetroot contains a high nitrate content, it is also thought to help lower blood pressure.
Ingredients (I like to use organic wherever possible):
- 6 small/medium sized beetroots (larger ones are fine too but they will take longer to cook)
- Small handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
- 5 or 6 large mint leaves
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g Feta Cheese
- Juice of half a lemon or if you like a more tangy flavour try lime juice instead
- Salt and black pepper to season
- Wash the beetroot and chop the stems off (save them for a salad, they’re delicious!)
- Place the beetroot into a pan and cover with boiling water, leave to simmer for around an hour or until the beetroot are cooked through. I normally use a fork to check if they are ready.
- Strain the beetroot and leave to cool.
- Peel the thin skin away from the beetroot and dice in to thick cubes.
- Create a dressing with the oil, vinegar, lemon, salt and pepper and stir through.
- Finely chop up the mint and parsley and mix.
- Crumble up the feta with your fingers and add to the top. I don’t like to mix the feta in as it all turns purple!
Serve at room temperature and enjoy!
To read more about Preet click here.
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.