I love baking for my children and am always developing recipes for them that feel like a treat but contain wonderfully wholesome ingredients. This certainly is one of those recipes and is great for those who eat dairy-free & gluten-free.
For me personally, I do get chocolate cravings and these brownies really hit that spot without my my blood sugar plummeting afterwards. It’s worth noting that you could substitute raw cacao for the cocoa in this recipe. There are great health benefits being reported for eating raw cacao but, on this occasion, have opted for cocoa powder. Mainly because this recipe is family friendly and I prefer to avoid the caffeine contained in raw cacao. I recommend using high quality pure cocoa powder as this will still contain a high amount of anti-oxidants and provides a great flavour.
Coconut flour has become a regular alternative to wholemeal wheat flour in many of my children’s after-school snacks. It provides variety in their daily diet, has a high fibre content and tastes yummy!
- Preheat the oven to 150degC and lightly grease an 8” square baking tin or dish.
- Chop most of the walnuts into chunky pieces, saving a few to decorate the top of the brownies.
- In a bowl, beat together the maple syrup, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and coconut flour until the mixture is smooth. Add the chopped nuts and chocolate and combine with a spatula.
- Transfer the mixture into the greased tin and spread out evenly with your spatula. Scatter the remaining whole almonds evenly over the top and place the baking tin into the centre of the oven for about 35 minutes. Insert a skewer into the brownies, they are cooked through when the skewer is clean when removed.
- Transfer the tin to a cooling rack and allow the brownies to cool for 30 minutes in the tin. Then remove from the pan and cut into pieces.
These brownies will keep for up to a week, stored at room temperature in an airtight container. They rarely last that long in my household!
To read more about Vaani click here
You can purchase the wonderful organic coconut ingredients for this recipe from the natural health star health shop.
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.