Green smoothies are a breakfast staple in our household, but sometimes during winter, I feel the need for something far more warming. Spicy Breakfast Quinoa is an easy-to-make meal, a lot of which can be prepared the night before, then gently reheated in the morning.
What nutritional benefits does it provide?
- Quinoa provides a complete protein (all essential amino acids) and is a good source of calcium, zinc and iron.
- The dried fruit, nuts and seeds provide zinc, calcium, magnesium and iron
- The seeds and nuts provide some Essential Fatty Acids and B vitamins.
- Lemon juice is very alkalising.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 4 dessertspoons of Quinoa (pre-soaked for a few hours)
Mix and match any or all of the ingredients below. Experiment and adjust to your own recipe.
- A good teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- A teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1-2 cloves
- 2 teaspoonfuls of raisins
- 2-3 figs cut up (and de-stalked)
- 2-3 apricots cut up
Nuts and seeds
- 1 – 2 teasp sunflower seeds
- 1 – 2 teasp pumpkin seeds
- 3 – 4 walnuts and almonds
- Note it is best to pre-soak all of these; you can then easily skin the almonds
- A good squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- A little grated rind of lemon.
- Freshly stewed apple to serve
- Soak all the seeds & nuts together in one bowl overnight.
- Cook the quinoa with the dried fruit, lemon juice and spices until soft and fluffy (this can be done the night before and then gently reheated in the morning).
- Drain and rinse the nuts and seeds. Skin the almonds. Chop the nuts roughly.
- Then mix all the ingredients together.
Serve as it is or perhaps with freshly stewed apple. (If you haven’t cooked the dried fruit with the quinoa, you can stew it instead with the apple).
If you like yoghurt, a dollop of live goat’s yoghurt is a nice addition.
For a change, substitute brown rice for the quinoa. I prefer to use short grain brown rice and pre-soak it for 12- 24 hours to make it more digestible.
Note: if you use cloves, be careful when eating or remove before serving. You don’t want to have any emergency dental appointments on your hands!!
Enjoy this warming and nourishing treat for every cell in your body!
To read more about Judith Reid Click here
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.