Sometimes it’s difficult to vary up breakfast time. So finding a delicious, balanced and versatile breakfast is great. This is one that I’m loving at the moment.
According to Dr. Mercola the word “chia” translates to the Mayan word for “strength”. Chia seeds were used by the ancient Mayans and Aztecs to produce strength and stamina. These tiny black power seeds are also a great source of protein and fibre keeping you feeling fuller for longer.
The other great thing about this breakfast is adding chocolate to it….yes you heard right….chocolate for breakfast. In the form of cacao nibs which is essentially raw chocolate. They are another great source of fibre which is beneficial for a healthy bowel. Cacao nibs are also a good source of magnesium which has many benefits as shown here. The best benefit of cacao in my opinion is the fact that it helps trigger the feel good hormones in the brain. Who doesn’t want to start the day feeling amazing?
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and free of refined sugar.
For the chia milk:
2 tbsp of organic chia seeds
1 litre of mineral water
1) Soak the chia seeds overnight.
2) Combine the soaked seeds and water in a blender.
3) Blend at the highest speed for 2 minutes.
4) Place the milk in a bottle and put it in the refrigerator.
Note: Activated chia milk (made with soaked chia seeds) will keep for 2 to 3 days in a cold fridge.
For the porridge (serves 1 or 2):
1) Place millet in a small saucepan on low heat. Toast lightly.
2) Add chia milk and salt. Increase heat to medium and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
3 )Reduce heat to low, add the coconut oil and sugar and simmer for a few minutes until heated through.
4) Remove from heat, pour in a bowl and top with goji, cacao nibs and fresh fruit (if desired).
fresh fruit (any)
organic goji berries
organic cacao nibs
To read more about Maria click here.
You can buy some of the delicious quality ingredients in this breakfast in our health shop.
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.