Linseeds are the richest plant source of omega 3 fats, which are essential for a healthy brain, heart and immune system. They are also a great source of gluten/wheat free fibre and have been recommended for the prevention and treatment of constipation and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). These little seeds not only help to improve digestive function, they are also thought to reduce the symptoms of menopause and help with blood glucose control.
Oats are a grain with a high biological value, fats, many vitamins and minerals. They have a high fibre content that helps with bowel movement. Oats have a range of healthy cholesterol-lowering properties, help to balance blood sugar and keep you energised for hours. Non-contaminated, pure oats are gluten-free, but sometimes oats can be made in facilities with non gluten free products, so if you’re coeliac it might be better to buy gluten-free oats.
Start the day nourishing and energising yourself with this creamy porridge!
This recipe is gluten-free, lactose-free and vegan.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- ½ mug oats
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of lindseeds
- 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- a pinch of salt
- 2 – 3 tablespoon of honey
- 1 or 1 and 1/2 mugs of water
- Place the oats and the water in a pan over a medium heat.
- Add a tiny pinch of salt, cinnamon, lindseeds and desiccated coconut. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring until the liquid has been absorbed. If you like your porridge creamier add more water until you’ve got the consistency you like.
- Add the honey through the porridge for the last few minutes of cooking.
- Serve with a sliced kiwi or any other fruit that you prefer.
Maria’s tip: Leave the linseeds to soak in the water overnight. This is a good way to get the best from them! And if you want that oats cook fast, cover them with water and leave overnight as well. In the morning you just need to cook them for 3 min until they’re hot!
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.