Eating a healthy, protein packed breakfast is an excellent way to kick start your day. I just love this nutrient rich granola recipe as it’s not only super healthy but also keeps me feeling full all morning and the kids love it too so it’s an all round winner. This recipe is gluten-free, lactose-free and is also suitable for vegans.
You can change it up with your own mix of seeds and nuts but most importantly this granola contains some wonderful coconut products that give it that extra special texture and flavour.
I’ve always been a fan of coconut and last year I was introduced to the fabulous Coconut Merchant products. I’ve tried a lot of coconut oils but have to say that Coconut Merchant’s extra virgin coconut oil is by far the most delicious for me. A subtle, creamy flavour that isn’t overpowering and works really well in my cooking and baking. I also use their desiccated coconut and toasted coconut flakes to give this granola additional texture and bite.
Ingredients (I try to use organic wherever possible)
4 cups organic whole grain rolled oats
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup of almond flakes
1 cup of mixed seeds (linseed, chia seeds and sesame seeds)
1 cup of toasted coconut flakes
Generous drizzle of organic, extra virgin coconut oil
Coconut syrup (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C
2) Mix all the ingredients in a baking tray (except the coconut flakes, syrup and desiccated coconut)
3) Drizzle a generous amount of melted coconut oil over the mixture and mix thoroughly
4) Put in the oven for around 30 mins or until the mixture is a lovely golden brown. (Mix the mixture halfway to get an even coverage)
5) Add the coconut flakes, desiccated coconut and mix thoroughly.
7) Allow the granola to cool and store in an airtight container.
8) Serve with natural yogurt and if you like a little sweetness drizzle some coconut syrup over the top.
All of Coconut Merchant’s delicious products are available to purchase in the natural health star health shop.
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.