This delicious pesto has become one of my family favourites. Eaten raw, it is incredibly healthy and can be stirred through salads, roasted vegetables or used as a dip with crudités.
It is a gluten free recipe and if you eliminate the Parmesan it is dairy-free and suitable for vegans.
In this recipe, the pesto is simply stirred through a warm courgette salad which can even be eaten raw if you prefer.
Ingredients – Whenever possible, I like to use organic ingredients
Pesto (enough for 2 or 3 portions. Any remaining pesto can be frozen)
2 handfuls baby spinach
1 handful basil
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 large clove of garlic
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (optional)
3tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Salad (for 2 people)
2 large courgettes
Baby Spinach leaves
1) For the pesto simply add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth consistency
2) Chop the ends off the courgette and using a potato peeler, peel length ways down the courgette to create long thin ribbons.
3) You can either keep these raw or blanch in simmering water for 30 seconds.
4) Stir a table spoon of pesto in to the courgette ribbons and place on a bed of rocket, watercress and spinach leaves.
5) Finish off with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.