Now that holiday season is here, I thought it was the perfect time to offer you some simple tips to prepare your skin for your holiday as well as how you can rescue sun-stressed skin if you are caught out.
With the current weather pattern being so erratic and our track record of wet summers, it’s understandable that so many people have wanted to soak up some rays. Combine this with people looking to absorb vitamin D from the sun and avoiding sun protection, it’s no wonder that some people are getting sunburnt.
So here are 5 tips that will not only help to prepare your skin for your holiday but also to speed up its repair if needed:
1. Exfoliate the dead skin cells away – this increases cell turnover so the dead and older cells will be removed and new ones can take their place. Do not do this if the skin is sunburnt.
2. Always always ensure you are drinking plenty of mineral water to hydrate your body and cells from the inside – it’s simple but fundamental.
3. Most importantly use a facial oil that will re-hydrate your skin and nourish it with vitamins and minerals. Look carefully at the ingredients to ensure that your facial oil does not contain water. You want it to be a concentrated formula that is packed with antioxidants and plant oils. Our Calm facial oil is a very concentrated blend and also contains lavender which is THE best essential oil to use to heal burns.
4. Essential oils of lavender and Roman chamomile are perfect for soothing sunburnt skin. If you have some Aloe Vera gel you could add a drop of lavender to some of the gel in your palm and then rub together and apply.
5. Use lavender floral water as a soothing facial spritz. Keep it in the fridge for a cooling and soothing sensation and spray onto your face or body when needed. Floral waters – pure hydrolats – have some of the properties of the essential oils and are gentler and easy to use.
I hope that you find some of these useful and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or leave a comment below.
Louisa Pini is a Holistic and Clinical Aromatherapist whose passion for aromatherapy started when she was at university when she had problems sleeping, concentrating for exams, and was learning to deal with stress. Louisa has created her own range of natural skin care products ‘Just Be Natural’ that use the finest organic essential oils in order to create high quality skin care that works hard to nourish the skin. To read more about Louisa click here.
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.