Stress, anxiety and the feeling of being overwhelmed can strike at any time .
According to anxiety UK, anxiety disorders are very common. In a survey covering Great Britain;
- 1 in 6 adults had experienced some form of ‘neurotic health problem’ in the previous week.
- The most common neurotic disorders were anxiety and depressive disorders.
- More than 1 in 10 people are likely to have a ‘disabling anxiety disorder’ at some stage in their life.
- An estimated 13% of the adult population will develop a specific form of anxiety known as a phobia at some point in their life.
- Large scale studies have suggested that around 2.5% of people are likely to experience OCD at some point in their life.
A recent World Health Organisation (WHO) study compared depression with angina, asthma, diabetes and concluded that the impact of depression on a person’s functioning was 50% more serious than the impact of any of the four physical conditions. At present 40% of disability worldwide is due to depression and anxiety.
There are many techniques and talking therapies available to help with feelings of anxiety. Hypnotherapist Jenny Amir recommends the following techniques to deal with anxiety. There are also some preventative measures. Here are a list of natural products which may help you to feel more relaxed:
- Vitamin D
It has been suggested that there may be a link between vitamin D deficiency and depression. Research suggests exercising outdoors in the sunshine, eating foods rich in vitamin D, and/or taking dietary supplements to improve vitamin D deficiency could improve one’s mental well being. These activities would be a simple and cost-effective solution for many who are at risk for depression and possibly other mental disorders
An intra oral vitamin D spray is scientifically proven to deliver vitamin D directly into the bloodstream and is a superior alternative to traditional tablet supplementation. This is especially for good those who find it difficult or undesirable to swallow tablets and perfect for children.
Click here to read more about Dlux vitamin D sprays
Most of us don’t need research to tell us chocolate boosts our mood, but this is exactly what it is pointing towards as shown here.
Cacao are the raw seeds obtained from the cacao tree Theobroma. Cacao nibs and powder have mood enhancing benefits could be explained by the following;
- Naturally high in magnesium which is a muscle relaxant helping with feelings of relaxation and calmness.
- Contains anandamide which improves mood, can create feelings of euphoria and can decrease depression.
- Contains phenylethylamine (PEA) which the body naturally produces when it feels excited. It also plays a role in feeling focused and alert.
Click here to read more about these cacao products
3. Herbal tea
Drinking herbal tea is relaxing in itself. Giving you a moment to just be and allowing you to take some quality time for you whilst drinking a delicious calorie free, hydrating drink. Add herbs into the mix and it’s the perfect enjoyable relaxation medicine.
Positivitea’s connect tea contains relaxing herbs chamomile, honeybush & lavender with valerian.
Connect can help balance you with the following properties:
- The crown chakra is associated with universal consciousness, the brain and nervous system.
- Chamomile can help to promote sleep.
- Lavender is often used to calm anxiety.
- Honeybush is soothing and relaxing and is especially beneficial for headaches, irritability and tension.
- Valerian has traditionally been used to treat insomnia.
Click here to read more about Connect tea
Did you know your gut and brain are linked? It brings a whole new meaning to the term “gut feeling”. In the last 10 years, research has shown a two way relationship between the gut microbiome (e.g bacteria that live in gut) and brain function (i.e., the microbiota-gut-brain axis). Probiotic supplementation could provide potential treatment and preventative measures for depressive and anxiety disorders as shown here.
Optibac probiotics is a family company developed by a pharmacist who recognised the benefits of probiotics in maintaining good health and have the following benefits:
- OptiBac Probiotics specialise entirely in live cultures.
- The strains are of the highest quality; each strain undergoes tests to ensure it is stable at room temperature, can survive stomach acidity, and can adhere to the gut wall lining.
- In particular focusing on taking specific strains and targeting specific health conditions.
Click here to read more about optibac probiotics.
5. Essential oil pulse points
Essential oils are therapeutic organic compounts, extracted from various plant parts, which can be diffused into the air, used in the bath or applied during massage or other ways eg. to pulse points to improve a person’s mood, mental state, or health. It is thought that chemicals in essential oils trigger certain receptors in the nose which are linked to regions of the brain linked to mood or when absorbed in the blood stream when coming in contact with the body. Certain oils are thought to help with feelings of calmness and improve mood as shown in this article by aromatherapist Louisa Pini
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.