There is no doubt about it, we live in a toxic world. Our digestive system plays a vital role in our overall health and to make sure it’s working properly we need to detox.
If our digestion is good we have less inflammation in our body and less inflammation means less disease. Hippocrates was way ahead of us when he said “All disease begins in the gut.”
A healthy, robust digestive system is so important but if you have an excess of toxins it will weaken your digestive system. Now, it’s hard to avoid toxins these days. Unfortunately we live, breathe and eat them. Some of these toxins are obvious, such as cigarette smoke, car fumes or the weed killer you put on your garden but these invisible substances are sometimes lurking in the most unexpected places. How about the paint on your walls? Bet you wouldn’t think they were in your carpet? Or how about the cosmetics you put on everyday ladies (and men)?
So unless you go around in a special bubble it is guaranteed that you are coming into daily contact with toxins, hence the reason that detoxing is so important.
Now what do I mean by a detox? I’m not talking about some crazy juice only diet or living off maple syrup and water for a week. I’m talking about bringing in daily habits that reduce the toxic burden on our bodies. Listen, unless you live in the back of beyond and have a completely self sufficient, Zen life, it’s hard to completely eliminate toxins but you can most definitely help your body out but getting rid of some of the things that aren’t helping.
Even stress is a toxin. It creates an acid environment and our body is forced to pull minerals to buffer the acid waste, then our kidneys, liver and lymphatic system begins to work harder to filter out the toxic load, your digestive system becomes clogged and sluggish which means you don’t breakdown food and nutrients properly and with that comes bloating, holding on to fat, skin problems and a general feeling of tiredness.
TOXINS => INFLAMMATION => WEAK DIGESTION =>
- Difficult weight management
- Low energy
- Low sex drive
- Bad skin
Detoxing is like emptying the rubbish bin and your body will thank you for it, after all you wouldn’t leave your kitchen bin festering for week or months would you? No, you empty it regularly! Well you need to do the same for your body too. When you reduce toxins you’ll have more energy, feel more alert, have better skin, start dropping the hard to lose fat and just generally start to feel better and well reduce inflammation.
Detoxing is NOT about feeling deprived, starving yourself or turning your life upside down. The aim is to learn how to eat clean, learn what foods are irritating to your body and to find cleaner, more natural alternatives to the everyday things we have become accustomed to using.
Eating clean and living clean is a way of life, not a diet or temporary fad. Is this making sense?
So here are some of my tips to get you started with detoxing your life:
- Upon waking, drink warm or room temperature water with lemon and 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar (if tolerated) and add a dash of cinnamon or cayenne.
- Start your day on a positive note with a daily affirmation. Detox is not just about the body, you also need to detox your mind too!
- Drink fresh, green juices or smoothies making sure you have a higher proportion of veggies to fruit so that you don’t elevate your blood sugar too much.
- Aim for one meal everyday that is super easy on your digestion such as a homemade soup to give that digestion a rest.
- Get moving & shaking. Yes, exercise is one of the best ways to detox your body as sweat is a one of the ways that your body gets rid of toxins.
- Drink plenty of water. If you don’t like the taste of plain water you can add lemon or lime, cucumber and mint or other chopped up fruit to infuse the water with natural flavour.
- Skin brushing is my favourite way to support the liver and get rid of those toxins
- Go organic wherever possible but definitely when it come to meat, dairy, root vegetables and berries. Wash and any fruit and veg that isn’t organic in a solution of water and vinegar to take of as much pesticide residue that you can from the surface. It won’t get rid of everything but it’s a step in the right direction.
- Start swapping chemical laden cleaning products and cosmetics for more natural alternatives. So instead of toxin cleaning solution use good old fashioned water and vinegar with a few drops of lavender essential oil. Instead of your body lotion with an ingredients list as long as your arm, use coconut oil.
- Before you go to bed, quiet your mind, even if it’s just for one minute. Breathe deeply from the belly and say “I choose to let go of the thoughts and emotions that don’t serve me.”
- And finally, be happy & grateful for life.
What did you think of this post? If you liked it please SHARE the love.